Avocados are frequently used for our everyday lives. People use avocados often for diet, foot scrubs, facial masks, moisturizers, makeup removers, and the best of all, guacamole. However, considering the warnings of an upcoming bill this year by President Donald Trump, we may no longer have avocados in the US again.
Many people from Central America are crossing the border into the United States which has caused a seeming threat that has become highly contentious to the government. In response, President Trump has warned Mexico to keep the thousands of migrants seeking asylum within the Mexico border. However, as more and more people make there way to American borders in large numbers, President Trump admonished the Mexican government, threatening to shut down its borders. If this does happen, trade between the two countries may come to a halt, which can leave devastating effects to our economy and civilian market.
Currently, Mexico is the biggest avocado distributor in the whole world. Out of 57 countries that produce avocados, Mexico produces 45 percent. Furthermore, 80 percent of all avocados imported from the US come from Mexico. Although, the remaining 20 percent of the avocados in the US is produced in California, the heat wave from 2018 postponed the harvest, making the U.S. further dependent on Mexico for avocados this year.
The US has been importing avocados from Mexico since the 1850s, but this may all change. As the growing issue between the US and Mexico doesn’t seem to abate, Mexico may no longer sell avocados to the US. This will result in the price of avocados, skyrocketing. Rob Wedin, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Calavo Growers Inc., explained the current avocado crisis and stated, “We are definitely running out of inventory (avocados),”
This avocado crisis can have a massive effect on Americans. “Avocado is crucial for celebrating the Superbowl.,” stated one football fan. “Without it, Americans would have to change their diet, lifestyle, and routine.” Not only can avocados affect our lives, it can also create a domino effect on other problems. Avocados are not just used in foods, but also in lots of beauty products. Without avocados, companies will have to find a substitute for their missing ingredient, which can cost companies millions of dollars. This can be critical to small businesses all around the US. The chain reaction of problems that occurs through no longer importing avocados is disastrous beyond words.
At the current state of tension between the US and Mexico, there doesn’t seem to be any hope for an agreement. Until then, we keep our fingers crossed for some type of negotiation from both presidents, so that there will be minimum effect on civilians.
Stephen Kim, Grade 8
Rancho Pico Junior High School