Despite news about the death of an Ohio high school student who overdosed on caffeine, local teens are not expressing much concern about the potentially hazardous drug.
Logan Stiner, 18, consumed pure powdered caffeine and was was found dead in May with 70 micrograms of caffeine per milliliter of blood, 23 times the amount of a daily coffee drinker.
Despite the side effects of powdered caffeine, the potent stimulant is popular with athletes. Unlike illegal substances, teens are susceptible to this drug because it can be easily bought online from stores like Amazon.
After Stiner’s death, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) posted on its website,“the FDA is warning about powdered pure caffeine being marketed directly to consumers, and recommends avoiding these products.”
Though caffeine is in many common foods and drinks, Debbie Liu, Asian Health Coalition program coordinator Debbie Liu has said that “because powdered caffeine is newly introduced, people are going to misuse it and will require stricter regulations from the government.”
However, news about the dangers of caffeine is not impacting the choices of caffeine consumers contacted by JSR. In a survey conducted for this article, 26 participants out of 28 stated that they will disregard the news and continue consuming caffeine.
High school freshman Alice Park said, “there’s no point in limiting how much caffeine is put into foods and drinks.”